Seghill Rugby Club

everything rugby


STC 20 Seghill 22
The home side were keen to get off to a good start, and exerted early pressure on Seghill. When they were awarded a penalty after 4 minutes, just outside the Seghill 22, they chose to run the ball out to the left wing to open the scoring with their first of 4 tries on the day.
The blustery wind carried the conversion attempt wide of the posts.
Seghill hit back immediately, with a try from Prop Rick Monaghan which was converted by Matthew Sherman.But in the attack, they lost second row David Goldsmith to injury. He was replaced by Davie Norris. Then moments later they were reduced to 14, when Andrew Stephenson, playing at flanker, was yellow carded for stamping.
STC looked to retake the lead with a penalty kick from just inside the Seghill half. The fly half got the distance right, but the wind carried the kick wide of the posts.
Seghill indiscipline gave the home side numerous penalties, and although a James Goodwin kick cleared the ball up field, STC surged forward again for their second try.
Once again, this spurred Seghill in to action, as they hit back immediately with a try for Craig Wood, converted again by Sherman.
Despite both teams creating openings, there was no further addition to the scores before the break.
Seghill centre, Paul Latham limped off at the interval with a knee injury and was replaced by Jonny Heppworth.
The second half began cagily, with both sides looking for a way through. It was STC who broke through first. The replacement hooker producing a powerful solo run from the half way line before off loading to the winger for a try in the left corner.
Moments later, a fine kick from Heppworth, produced a lineout on STC's 5m line. Seghill won the ball and Wood dived over for his second try.
Seghill thought they had secured the 4 try bonus point, when Norris followed up Nick Heard's surging run down the left wing. He passed the ball to Norris, who crossed the line with 3 STC backs attempting to hold him back. The home side were able to get bodies under the ball and held it up.
With 10 minutes to go Chris Hogg limped off, with James Shaw moving from the wing to replace Hogg at flanker. Frazer Hill took Shaw's place on the right wing.
With 4 minutes left to play, a penalty from Sherman looked to have sealed an away victory for Seghill, but STC weren't about to give in, and with the final play scored another try in the left corner. However, the conversion, which would have given them the draw, sailed wide, and Seghill were able to take another victory which sees them move to 3rd in the league.

Home l About us l News l Events l Gallery l Links l Contact us
© Copyright 2008 Seghill Rugby Club. All Rights Reserved.